2014 ‘indie’ Shiraz Marsanne

2014-Indie-Shiraz-MarsanneRegion: Hunter Valley

Alcohol: 13.5%

Background: ‘Indie’ is the label where we release wines that are not what you would say ‘mainstream’ for the Hunter Valley.

Fruit Source: Shiraz and Marsanne, both from the Kindred family’s, ‘Lochleven’ Estate on the corner of Deasys and McDonalds Roads in Pokolbin.

Fermentation: Fruit from both blocks were hand-picked and then co-fermented in open vats and plunged twice daily. The ratio is 90% Shiraz and 10% Marsanne.

Maturation: Maturation was for 18 months in 33% new French oak Puncheons. The other 67% of the oak was 1 & 2 year-old Puncheons.

Winemaker’s comments: This is the first time we have co-fermented Marsanne with Shiraz and it has worked very well. Not the first of its kind in Australia, but a very rare blend never the less.

Tasting note: The addition of the Marsanne has added a slight lift of spice to the dark berry aromas. The palate is powerful with rich blue fruits, the effect on the palate of the Marsanne is purely textural. A well balanced wine with well judged acid, fruit and oak riding on a long palate.

Cellaring estimate: medium term (10+ years).

Suggested food match: Game meats including Duck.

Meerea Park Wines | Copyright 2018 | All rights reserved | Design by Videre Graphic | Website Constructed by xyntech